Book a Consultation
Call Us Now


How many laser hair removal sessions do I need?

Share page:

How many laser hair removal sessions do I need? Leeds

In recent years, laser hair removal has emerged as one of the most popular ways to get the smooth skin you crave. Laser hair removal is easy, effective, and virtually painless, making it many people’s preferred option to remove any unwanted hair and leave them with a look they love. However, one question on everyone’s mind when it comes to choosing laser hair removal treatment is exactly how many sessions they will need for the results the want. In this article we will explore the many factors that determine how many sessions is the correct amount!

What are the factors?

In general, 6 – 10 sessions are needed initially for laser hair removal, with top ups potentially needed to maintain the results. After an initial course of treatment, between 80% and 85% of hair growth will be reduced for most people. The remaining 15% to 20% will be lighter in texture and need extra sessions to be maintained. However, everyone’s body is different, and laser hair removal sessions depend on a number of factors including gender, hair colour and density, hair location, skin colour and sensitivity, treatment interval length, and any underlying health or hormonal issues.

Hair location

There are literally hundreds of hair follicles all over your body, and it would be virtually impossible for laser technology to target each of these with the correct temperature over the course of 6 – 10 sessions. Knowing what stage of growth each hair follicle is at during treatment, and how much heat is being absorbed by the follicle is hard to estimate. That’s why certain parts of the body are easier to target than others.

Hair colour

In terms of hair colour, traditional laser hair removal treatment isn’t generally as effective for red, grey or white hair. Unlike, traditional systems, our SMARTDiode Laser Hair Removal machine is able to remove all hair regardless of colour. Red, grey, white or light brown hair may require more sessions due to a lack of melanin (pigment) in this hair type. By contrast, dark, black, and dark-medium brown hair responds much quicker to laser removal treatment due to the abundance of melanin in this hair type.

Skin colour

People with darker skin generally need more laser hair removal treatment sessions than those with lighter skin due to the amount of pigment naturally presented in their skin. Specialists use lower intensities of laser on people with darker skin to ensure the sessions are safe and do not cause damage to the skin surrounding the hair follicles.


Men typically require more laser hair removal session than women. This is simply down to their hormone profile and hair type. However, women who are experiencing hormonal issues may also need more sessions to achieve their results. This is particularly true of women who live with Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

Treatment interval

The time frame between sessions is another big factor when it comes to how many sessions overall you will need. As mentioned earlier, the initial course of treatment will achieve an 80% – 85% reduction in hair growth. Time frames between sessions are usually between 4 – 8 weeks depending on hair location. Longer intervals between sessions will obviously give time for that remaining 15% – 20% to grow and require a longer treatment plan.

The simple answer is that everyone’s bodies are different, and laser hair removal can take more time for some and less for others. However, we hope this article has given you some indication of the factors that can influence the amount of treatment sessions you might need.

Back to blog
Newsletter Signup

Request a call back